AFYM Artist Profile: Lucy Ingham







The first time I ever saw Lucy dance I remember feeling as though I was watching a steady stream flow down towards a valley. Now, I don't know a whole lot about dance (except for the sick moves I cut on a Saturday night that only just push 'terrible') but watching Lucy perform is a beautiful thing. I envy the way she can seamlessly transit between the rigid body and what seems a totally mallable human form, fitting together like so many puzzle pieces or delicately slipping in and out of blank surrounding spaces.

Because we're suckers for the element of surprise, we haven't asked too much about what she has in store for us at Advice From Your Mother, but what we do know is it will be an experiential movement piece - close and personal. Until then, this one-on-one chit chat with Ms Ingham will have to suffice.

1. Tell us a bit about what you do?

I graduated from QUT with a Bachelor of Fine Arts- Dance in 2010. Since then, I have been working independently as a contemporary dancer and have recently begun choreographing.

2. And on your days off?

Going out for breakfast, reading, enjoying the sunshine, exercising.

3. How would you describe your work? 

Currently my artistic practice is focused upon exploring and deconstructing the intracicies of human relationships and physical connections through movement and mapping the sub- conscious kinesthetic response of intimacy.

4. What do you find is the most exciting and rewarding aspect in your working process? 

Finding beauty, tension, awkwardness, softness etc in the smallest and most subtle of movements and working out a way to expand and emphasize those moments.

5. What motivates you to create? 

It generally depends on what I’m reading or focusing on at a point of time. Sometimes, it can be as simple as an image or snapshot of something. However, for this particular piece I was studying towards my pilates instructor qualifications and the subject of postual analysis and structures particularly interested me.

6. Who inspires you at the moment? 

Quite a number of people and for various reasons, Akram Khan, Noa Wertheim, Harold Collins, Miike Snow, Max Richter and all independent artists.

7. What’s next in terms of using different media/challenging yourself? 

I am absolutely terrible with any media/technology, so using anything is already a challenge! In spite of this, I would love to work on a dance film. I think seeing a body moving in space captured from non-traditional angles is really intriguing and often quite beautiful.

8. Who would you most like to work with (living or dead) and why? 

I would absolutely love to work with Tanya Liedke. At such a young age, she was an incredible choreographer with such focus and drive and I think that working with her would be both challenging and rewarding.

9. Where do you see yourself in 5 years and what would you like to be doing there? 

Dancing professionally in Australia. I would hope that I would have gone overseas to expand my knowledge, skills and contacts and upon returning to Australia, get the chance to share them.

10. 3 words that describe what you’re working on for us? 

Exploration, posture, dance.

11. What was the best/worst/weirdest advice your mother gave you? 

Try before you buy. 

12. Where else can we see more of your work?

'm currently working on Ron Seeto's inter/nality that will be performed in January 2013.