Chloe Gard



 






Homely, abstract and experimental, Chloe Gard manages to achieve fluid balance in her photographs. In my opinion, her playful approach, sincerity and love for the craft sucks me in...and she's only a budding artist! I catch up with the Brisbane local (in the virtual realm) to find out what makes her tick and managed to snag a good old baby photo too!


1. Age/Location/Occupation?

21/Brisbane but originally from Switzerland/Photography + Art Student

2. How would you describe your work?

Evolving and changing constantly. I feel like I'm still trying to find my groove in terms of the type of work I want to create, for a while it was mostly documentation on 35mm film… but current projects include a lot of collaging and printmaking!

3. What inspires you to create?

Nice scenery, interesting people, good light!

4. Who inspires you at the moment?

My family. Gerhard Richter. Gabor Osz. Fellow students.

5. What do you find is the most exciting and rewarding aspect in your working process?

Seeing good results after getting a roll of film developed! the wait can be stressful sometimes.

6. What’s next in terms of using different media/challenging yourself?

I'm currently experimenting with photogravure, it's expensive but can be very cool. I also recently started a website - www.bitchesinbrisbane.com, it's nice to be able to gather all these cool girls into one little digital space!

7. Who would you most like to collaborate with (living or dead) and why?

Shit that's a hard question. Tavi Gevinson. She's doing wonderful things!

8. Something you’re looking forward to?

Lots and lots of travel when uni is over!  It's going to be really hard to choose, I have traveled quiet a bit and tend to be drawn back to the same places because I enjoyed them so much.. But this time I want to go somewhere completely different. I have never been to South America so that is definitely at the top of the list. New York is up there too.

9. What was the most useful/weirdest advice your mother gave you?

Cheese doesn't go off.. it gets better. And also to hold on to my Swiss roots. 



Looking forward to seeing more from Chloe? Here's her website

-Wendy