OUT: BIGSOUND

Words and dodgy iPhone photos by Emma Jones

If you're like me and you're interested in keeping up-to-date with some of Australia's (and abroad's) newest and best talent in the music scene, then I don't really have to guess where you were last Wednesday and Thursday, do I?! BIGSOUND of course!

For those of you who don't know, BIGSOUND is an annual music conference held in Fortitude Valley. Produced by QMusic, BIGSOUND draws the creme de la creme of the national and international music scene. The Valley is transformed into a hub of amazing live music, with influential speakers speaking throughout the day (with this year including Billy Bragg, Nick Cave, records executives and festival creators among many, many others), as well as some of the best up-and-coming artists (Megan Washington, Thelma Plum, Adalita) performing throughout the evenings. The event serves as somewhat of a "tastemaker", setting a precedent for who to keep an eye out for within the next 12 months, as well as to ponder the important points of the conference speakers.

I went along to the second night, as a sinus infection prevented me from going both nights (I have to be pretty bloody sick to miss a gig), but thoughts of ailments subsided as I caught sets by Willow Beats, Clubfeet, Mitzi, Dubmarine, and the Melbourne Ska Orchestra. BIGSOUND turns some of the Valley's favourite venues into intimate stages, with hoards pouring in to catch a few bars of some of the best new talent around!


 Willow Beats!

 Clubfeet!

 Brisbane's own Mitzi!

The Melbourne Ska Orchestra!

TJ Maber / 22 / Student

1. So, what did you think of BIGSOUND?

BIGSOUND was a remarkable experience, I'm glad things like this exist. Although I couldn't make it to the conferences, I saw some bands I really fancied and met a few interesting people.

2. Who was your favourite?

Dubmarine and Melbourne Ska Orchestra, such good performances.

3. What was the last arts event you went to?

Magenta Voyeur at The Zoo.

4. What did you get up to today?

Uni and a [band] rehearsal.

5. Is there anything you're looking forward to?

Falls Festival and Psych Night 4!